You may have noticed that its been a bit windy recently with Wednesday in particular seeing a fair bit of disruption due to falling trees etc.
The biggest issue though was the complete closure of Royal Parade for the afternoon:
Royal Parade has now been closed on a temporary basis to traffic as a safety precaution following the damage to the Big Screen earlier this afternoon. Bus companies are currently making arrangements for alternative locations to drop off and pick up passengers who would normally use the bus stops along Royal Parade.
As there are a number of companies involved, we are asking the public to keep an eye on the companies’ social media feeds for more information. We anticipate that the wind will die down later this evening and we hope to remove parts of the structure which are hanging off if the wind dies out as expected. Conditions permitting, scaffolding will go up tomorrow for a more detailed assessment to be carried out.
We aim to let people know when the road will reopen as soon as we can.
We appreciate that this causes inconvenience and delays for people trying to get home after work but the safety of people walking, cycling and driving along this busy road has to be our top priority.
- 5/5A, 14, 21/21A, 50 Westbound towards will serve Cattedown, the viaduct, Vauxhall Street and the Reel Cinema at Derry’s Cross onto Union Street
- 5/5A, 14, 21/21A, Eastbound towards Plymstock and Plympton will serve Notte Street and go across the viaduct.
- 8/9, 16, 20/20A, 23/24, 27/27A, 28, 33 Coming in onto the viaduct, turning at St Andrews Cross roundabout to head back out via Charles Street and Drake Circus
- 35/35A, 40/41, 42/42A/42B/42C, 44, 46, 61/62 Terminates at Charles Cross/ Art College and departs outside Primark
- 10, 11/11A, 12, 32, 34/34A, 36, 51/51A, 70, 71, 72 Terminates at the top of Union Street and departs outside Union Rooms
- 25 Terminating and Departing at Union Rooms then up to Western Approach, to Drake Circus, the viaduct and will continue the normal route.
- 100 service to the george park and ride can get on at mayflower street and out side drake circus and viaduct
- 200 service pick up from viaduct going out to coypol
- 1/X1 pick up from drake circus
- service 3 leaving from viaduct
- service 2/2A to saltash will be picking up from sparrows and toys r us
- Royal Parade is currently closed due to problems with the big screen in these very high winds. Therefore Service 13 will be operating to the Art College as normal, then serving the Viaduct. It will then operate via Vauxhall Street to Toys R Us where it will pick up its normal route. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by the volatile weather
They did mention the disruption to services on their Facebook page but didnt go into any details as to what their buses were doing.